Moving to Canada - what to do about US accounts?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

pokka

Moving to Canada - what to do about US accounts?

Post by pokka »

I am going to be moving to Canada in a few months. I am a US citizen and I will going on a work permit, possibly for a few years, possibly more.
I have stocks, bank accounts, credit cards, retirement accounts here in the US.

At the moment I am not planning to maintain a US address.

I have a few questions that I couldn't quite find answers to. I know that some things are harder once I am out of the country, so I am hoping to find things out while I still have time. I would be grateful for any advice / tips!

1. What are the advantages to keeping brokerage accounts, bank accounts, credit card accounts in the US while I am in Canada? Is just having the Canadian equivalent account good enough? I do have some bills that I need to keep paying in the US for the first few months (and life insurance bills for many years).

2. I have had trouble finding a US brokerage account that I can keep open if I live in Canada. Schwab and Ameritrade both said that it isn't allowed. Are there some well known US brokerage accounts that allow it?

3. Question 2 for bank accounts. I have talked to one bank who said that I could keep an account open while in Canada, but I think the person I talked to just guessed and did not *know*. That person also said that I can't get a debit card mailed to me in Canada. Another one (Marcus) said no.

4. Question 2 for credit card accounts.

(My 401k provider said that it is okay to keep my 401k account (or roll it over into an IRA) with a Canadian address. I plan to do this.)

5. Is there anything else I should do in advance of my move? Things that I cannot do once I have moved?

That's all I can think of for now.
Thanks in advance!

PA
nelsona

Re: Moving to Canada - what to do about US accounts?

Post by nelsona »

There is no disadvantage to holding bank and credit card accounts from US while in Canada. These can be practical fro dealing with friends/businesses/clients back home. Surely you will be visisting US regularly even if you would become a Cdn citizen!

A non-retirement brokerage account however is a no-no. You would need to transfer the assets to a CDn brokerage. That would mean having to sell any US mutual funds, as they cannot be held outside a retirement account while in Canada.

There are a couple of firms, Blackmont and Pacifica, can help set up some sort of accounts that *might* allow you to keep US mutual funds. Transferring US stock portfolio to a Cdn firm is very simple and done all the time.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yoiu would want to sell any losers in your portfolio before moving, to trigger cap losses that you can use.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
pokka

Post by pokka »

Thanks so much for your help nelsona!

I will transfer my non-retirement stocks to a Canadian brokerage.
I don’t have any mutual funds in non-retirement accounts, just ETFs, so I am good.

Any banks/credit cards that you know that allow a Canadian address? I only know of the “cross-border” accounts by RBC and TD.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They all allow Cdn address.

Some ETFs might need to be sold. Your Cdn broker would advise which ones.