Cross-border deemed dividend taxation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sabraham

Cross-border deemed dividend taxation

Post by sabraham »

Hi all,
Note first that I'm talking about a "deemed dividend", which shouldn't be confused with the totally different concept of a deemed disposition.

I've been living in the US for many years, and I hold a small amount of stock in a Canadian private corporation.
That company bought back a portion of my stock in 2020. That sale generated a capital event (a loss, in this case), as well as the more unusual concept of a Canadian "deemed dividend" [1], which is not at all what I think of as being a dividend. The company held back 15% of my deemed dividend amount, to be sent to the CRA as non-resident withholding.

My question is what to do about this for my US resident taxes. As far as the US tax system is concerned, this share repurchase just seems like a simple capital loss. I know of no analogue in US tax law to a Canadian deemed dividend. The whole reason for Canada's deemed dividend mechanism seems to be to stop a loophole for Canadian residents around the difference between their capital gains and dividend tax rates. However in the US there's no difference between qualified dividend and long-term capital gains rates, so that seems irrelevant.

Do I have to declare this thing as a dividend on my 1040, just because Canada calls it one? Even with the partial foreign tax credit offset, this will end up costing me a lot of extra money to the IRS and to my state, and it just doesn't strike me as being at all reasonable.

Thanks for reading!

[1] https://www.mondaq.com/canada/capital-g ... me-tax-act