Being a non resident of Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Peonies1022

Being a non resident of Canada

Post by Peonies1022 »

What happens if one forgets or was no told to change their address with SAAQ and RAMQ, I forfeited my license in 2016 and I was not thinking about RAMQ I figured because I didn't renew it, it would become obsolete. Also, when my accountant declared that I was a non resident for that year, he never asked me if I had a vehicle to which I still have but it is over 23 years old and it's on its last legs, so within the next couple of months, I will have to bring to a scrap yard in the US because I cannot drive it back and it was never good enough to drive back anyways. The question is, I didn't mean to be careless like this but I just never thought about all the things that needed to be done prior to leaving Canada. Because of this would it be possible to just do my taxes as if I never left and then once I get rid of all this, I could then truly emigrate from Canada? Again, not sure how this works. Thank you for your feedback
nelsona

Re: Being a non resident of Canada

Post by nelsona »

There really is no advantage to you filering as a Cdn resident at this point. Simply file your departure return, based on the day you left.

The problem you face, regardlesss of how you file, is that youy cannot scrap your car in US, since you did not import it. You need to bring it to Canada even to scrap.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to ckarify, since you declared non-residency back then 2016, there is no point changing, and it would cost you a lot of money, give QC tax rate.

What possible advantage do you see in reverting this?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

Thank you for responding -- the problem that I am facing is that I cannot bring my vehicle back to Canada, it is on its last legs, so unfortunately it is something I cannot do and I should have never brought it here but I did not know any better at that time. If I knew then what I know now it would be different for sure. I'm not sure I understand about the vehicle, if someone cannot bring their vehicle back home, why can't they scrap it where they are? What would happen? I guess I am just worried, I have never left my country before, this is all new to me, it's life leaving your family that you've been with all your life.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You left 5 years ago... what does scrapping a car that have to do with leaving family.

When you scrap a car, you transfer the ownership to be crapped. Do you have the papers for the state you live in? Is your car plated in the stat you live in?registration
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

No unfortunately I don't.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, that will make it difficult to scrap in US. You need to take it back to Canada, not file a tax return in Canada. It'll be like visiting your family!
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

I know and I understand what you are saying but my vehicle is no way capable of driving it back - my mechanic even told me you cannot drive this car back to Canada. I wish I knew someone with a trailer that could transport it back but I don't. It's all my fault, I know it is and I was not thinking. I did contact SAAQ and they said to fax them the paper from the scrap yard in the US but I'm not convinced. I truly don't know what to do but thank you for taking the time to respond to me.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you called the SAAQ and they told you what to do, then..... I would obviously try what thaey said.

You don't have much choice.