in multiple countries last year during covid, how to file tax return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ilysm

in multiple countries last year during covid, how to file tax return

Post by ilysm »

Hi I am a newbie here. First want to thank nelsona in advance for all the valuable info you give on this board! Hope everyone safe and healthy.

I got my Canadian PR and landed by the end of 2018 but only stay in Canada from time to time. I work in a US company. Last year my physical location changed several times due to covid. I was in my home country for nearly 4 months after covid started and we were told to work remotely. I also took this remote work opportunity to stay in Canada for 4 months last year to fulfill residence requirement as a Canadian PR, also we bought a home in Canada by the end of last year. I stayed in US in total around 4 months last year.

I did not formally inform my employer about my location, however, so in each paycheck they still withhold my taxes and social securities. Now I am filing my US tax return, and also plan to file Canada tax return for the first time as a residence. From what I read in other posts here, I understand that rigorously I should be taxed by Canada while I stayed in Canada but working for my US company, and should get the credit from the taxes withheld by my US paycheck. My question is, when I file US tax, may I simply assume that I stay in US physically last year without mentioning that I stayed in Canada and my home country? Any consequences? I do not want to risk my US job and Canada PR.

I know it is complicated scenario but thanks very much for your advices!
ilysm

Re: in multiple countries last year during covid, how to file tax return

Post by ilysm »

Any recommendations on my case? I know it is complicated... Anyone has similar experiences to live in Canada for a short period of time but keep working for a US company by earning USD?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

CRA issued direction on those "trapped" in Canada due to covid. Please consult the CRA website, and other posts here on that matter.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ilysm

Post by ilysm »

Thanks very much nelsona!