Canadian J1 Visa Tax Filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mtb2021

Canadian J1 Visa Tax Filing

Post by mtb2021 »

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen (single) who moved to the US under a J1 visa in December 2019 and began paying US taxes in January 2020. I am now completing my taxes and am required to complete the US and Canadian taxes.

Can I declare residency for the US for tax purposes and non-residency for Canadian taxes? Or am I still considered a resident for tax purposes in Canada. I do not own property in Canada but I have a drivers license, health card and my family is in Canada.

If i pay the Canadian taxes, I've calculated that I will have to pay the difference to the Canadian side but how do I avoid any penalties to the US? Do I need to complete any forms to invoke the treaty between the US and Canada so that I can transfer my US tax credits to the Canadian tax system?

Thank you
nelsona

Re: Canadian J1 Visa Tax Filing

Post by nelsona »

You are still Cdn resident until your days of US presence can count towards US tax residency, which can be up to five years after you moved.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D