does a Canadian RESP need to get a US EIN?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Marina

does a Canadian RESP need to get a US EIN?

Post by Marina »

to file form 3520-A?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

But in line with your other question, no Cdn trustee is going to file these for you, you file them.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Mark T Serbinski CA CPA
Site Admin

Post by Mark T Serbinski CA CPA »

Note: We have had IRS requests for SS-4 forms for Canadian trusts filing 3520/3520A forms. In many cases, IRS assigns the EIN and then asks for the SS-4.

We have taken the position that we will submit an SS-4 with any new 3520/3520A filing for TFSA or RESP accounts.
Mark
smzsul

Post by smzsul »

What kind of trust do I need the select when submitting the IRS online form for EIN for a Canadian RESP ?. I was thinking - Guardianship with one of my kids as the beneficiary. Is this correct ?.