Accidentally moved to the US during covid... non resident of Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

blahpascal

Accidentally moved to the US during covid... non resident of Canada?

Post by blahpascal »

I am a Canadian citizen/resident. I moved to the US accidentally during covid. Basically I was in the US with my USC husband and covid broke out and I didn’t want to be separated. So I just stayed in the US. I worked for company in Canada till end of Nov remotely then I quit. Well the issue that has become is that I never intended on moving here, but moved here. It’s been one year now and I have filed for my adjustment of status. My issue is that I have a lot of secondary ties to Canada... checking account, savings, TFSA, RRSP, credit cards, license, OHIP (probably invalid now), vehicle registered there. For the year of 2020 I also had full time employment in Canada. I’m wondering when do I claim non residency in Canada? Would I file as a non resident for my 2020 taxes?
nelsona

Re: Accidentally moved to the US during covid... non resident of Canada?

Post by nelsona »

By being with your spouse in US and also filing for GC, you are definitely a US resident, and a Cdn "deemed non-resident" which is the same as non-resident.

So, for 2020, CRA considers you an "emigrant", and must file a departure return. Your departure date is probably the day you left Canada for the last time.

The IRS considers you a resident, probably for all of 2021, and you need to file a full joint 1040 with your spouse, reporting all world income (which you would have chosen to do anyways -- but now you must). This will need to include all the special reporting needed for your foreign accounts.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
blahpascal

Post by blahpascal »

Thank you! So my ties to Canada do not matter and the fact that I worked in Canada all year long? I’m still a non resident?
blahpascal

Post by blahpascal »

nelsona wrote:
> By being with your spouse in US and also filing for GC, you are definitely
> a US resident, and a Cdn "deemed non-resident" which is the same
> as non-resident.
>
> So, for 2020, CRA considers you an "emigrant", and must file a
> departure return. Your departure date is probably the day you left Canada
> for the last time.
>
> The IRS considers you a resident, probably for all of 2021, and you need to
> file a full joint 1040 with your spouse, reporting all world income (which
> you would have chosen to do anyways -- but now you must). This will need to
> include all the special reporting needed for your foreign accounts.

Yes we are filing for a 2020 joint return. That is not even debatable! I’m just so confused on whether or not I am a non resident of Canada or not.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Working in canada, given all your other ties in US does Not make you a Cdn resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D