Canadian moving to US -- keep CDN house as rental property?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mikem

Canadian moving to US -- keep CDN house as rental property?

Post by mikem »

I'm considering moving back to the US again on another H1B in the near future. I'm thinking about keeping my house in Canada and renting it out. I recall previously that a lot of people thought this was a bad idea as it could make me deemed a tax resident in Canada.

Is this still the case? I've been reading through the forums and it sounds like keeping a house in Canada alone (while severing other ties) shouldn't necessarily result in being deemed a resident. I would bring my family along & cancel health insurance, drivers licenses, etc. etc. but likely keep my Canadian bank account open. Any feedback would be appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Absolutely NO problem renting it out. You need to have an agent collect the rent and remit tax monthly to CRA however, and file a 216 return in Canada.

Even if you kept it empty you would not be considered resident of Canada as long as you had a home in USm and your family and job were there.

Once you live and work in US, it is almost impossible to be considered resident of canada.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JGCA

Post by JGCA »

If you have substantial expense against the rental income make an election to be taxed on the net amount of rent as per your estimate for teh year rather than on the gross amount monthly this election has to be filed right away as soon as you collect the first months rent for teh year and then every other year , you still have to file a tax return at the years end but this avoids being taxes on the gross rent.
JG