First year US resident tax filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jamesz97

First year US resident tax filing

Post by jamesz97 »

Hello,

Fellow Canadian here working on a TN visa in California and have met the substantial presence test for 2020. I think I have become a US resident for tax purposes and have been really stressed about my situation and paranoid of IRS penalties (I’ve read numerous horror stories) . If anyone could help me in guiding me with what forms I need to file that would be great (I did some research already and desperate for help). Thank you!

My concerns:

My parents gifted me 120k to purchase a presale unit in British Columbia back in 2017. The unit was not completed when I re-assigned the contract to my parents in 2020. They ended up getting a mortgage and closed on the property. I paid the assignment fees to the developers and received 0 gain from the transaction. Feels like this was a gift transaction and I should declare it to the IRS as such.However when I spoke with an IRS agent they couldn’t confirm any of this as it was out of scope. So I’m confused what forms I would need to file for this situation.

In addition, I keep seeing the forms: Form 8938, Form 3520, Form 3520-a during my research and I’m quite paranoid if I had missed anything else. Other than the property, I do not have TFSA, RRSP, RESP or other financial vehicles. I understand I will need to file the FBAR because my bank accounts exceeded 10k USD. Are any other forms relevant for me?

Thank you so much for your help.