RESP forfeiture - Where to report on US taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:02 pm

RESP forfeiture - Where to report on US taxes

Post by complete »

I have been paying taxes on the yearly interest in my kid's RESPs ever since I moved to the US. I have always calculated the interest as the total of 'income on principal' + 'income on grants'. In 2020 I decided to close 1 RESP account (I have 4). There was a total forfeiture amount that included the enrollment fees + principal income + grant income + Canadian Education Savings Grants + Provincial Education Savings Incentive. There was only a letter sent at the time of closure but no 1099-INT or other tax form was ever sent for the closed RESP (I didnt really expect one).
I have been paying interest on the full amounts for years.
My question is - how do I account for the total forfeiture?
Do I simply add it to the schedule 1 1040 line 17+22 Penalty on early withdrawal of savings AND to 1040 10a (even though I never got any official tax document)?
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Posts: 16788
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: RESP forfeiture - Where to report on US taxes

Post by nelsona »

That would seem to be the appropriate place, since it is indeed forfeited.

Realize that any foreign income/deduction is almost never going to come with an IRS form.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
Post Reply