1099 and TN1 and taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ahluwaliah

1099 and TN1 and taxes

Post by ahluwaliah »

Hello,

I am a Canadian offered employment on a 1099, and will be working on a TN1 status.

I would like to know the following:

1. Do I use the W-9 or W-8 BEN (or some other form). My understanding is that I am a non resident alien on a TN1.

2. Will using either of these tax form have any bearing on my RRSP's in Canada?

3. I do have a ITIN since I filed for taxes last year, can my employer use the ITIN till I receive my SSN?

thank you in advance.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1. you are resident alien if you satisfy substantial presence test on TN or most othwer statuses. You are already in US on H4, thus you are already resident alien.
2. No. you need to advise your Cdn banks that you are no longer Cdn residnet already.
3. Yes, but will need to withhold taxes. Once you supply SSN and W-9, withholding will stop, and you wuill be responsible for submitting quarterly taxes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ahluwaliah

Post by ahluwaliah »

thanks for the info.

So working on 1099 on TN status is legal? I would be an independent contractor.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You already have your answer on this.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
gedik

Re: 1099 and TN1 and taxes

Post by gedik »

In Canada, the workers also had to pay the taxes that are deducted from their salary. Hence it is said that [url=https://www.ukbestessay.net/coursework]courseworks[/url] are sharing the important phenomenon that are here to give the representation on it.