Taxes for independent contractor on a TN visa on 1099 basis

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

JS96

Taxes for independent contractor on a TN visa on 1099 basis

Post by JS96 »

I am a Canadian remote worker who will be living in Canada and contracting with a US company, getting paid to my Canadian corporation. I understand that if I was never to step foot in the US, I would simply file Canadian taxes and fill out a W-8BEN-E so that the US company does not have to withhold US taxes. However, as part of my work, I will be travelling into and out of the US for conferences and business meetings from time to time, so I plan on obtaining a TN visa as an independent contractor (Form 1099 basis) as I fall under one of the categories.

If I obtain my TN visa, will this complicate the tax situation any further? Will I now have to file a US tax return as well? I know that I should only be paying Canadian taxes, so I am not worried about double taxation, but simply trying to understand if my being on a TN on a 1099 basis (not as an employee) introduces any new complications or paperwork.
nelsona

Re: Taxes for independent contractor on a TN visa on 1099 basis

Post by nelsona »

Going to the US occasionally as a contractor does not make you liable for US taxation UNLESS, you spend more than 183 days in any 365 day period, OR you set up an office for yourself.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nirvana_1959

Post by nirvana_1959 »

If you get TN you may have problem with CBP. They do check at random (one in a million, may be; it happened to my friend) to ensure it is a legitimate set up. You prove it by showing US pay stubs and US bank statements (unless it's clearly stated in TN that its sole purpose is for attending meetings etc.; not sure if this is even possible).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

They check everyone. Meetings a is a legit B1 entry reason.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
JS96

Post by JS96 »

nirvana_1959 wrote:
> If you get TN you may have problem with CBP. They do check at random (one
> in a million, may be; it happened to my friend) to ensure it is a
> legitimate set up. You prove it by showing US pay stubs and US bank
> statements (unless it's clearly stated in TN that its sole purpose is for
> attending meetings etc.; not sure if this is even possible).

Ahh okay - I was not aware of this, and it seems significant given that nelsona said they check everyone. I wouldn’t have US pay stubs (as a contractor) and likely not a US bank account either.

But it sounds like it is best to just avoid the TN altogether in this situation and simply obtain the B1 when crossing when necessary, even if there are no tax issues with obtaining a TN as an independent contractor.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are entering on B1, they ASK what the purpose of your visit -- every one.
They will want to know the remuneration arrangement, if any.
If you set yourself up as a business, then YOU are paying yourself, and the US firm is paying your firm.
This is legit for either TN or B1, usually depending on if you live in canada (TN b1) or in US (must TN).

These are immigration questions.
Carasad

Post by Carasad »

Oh, there are tons of options out there. Now only the lazy don't make money on the Internet. This thread could exist forever.
Sadased

Post by Sadased »

The story with American taxes is really very dreary. No matter what status you are in. It seems to me that bureaucracy is so rooted in America that soon paperwork will be introduced everywhere, simply because officials can do it. I remember how much information I read, first, to understand the registration of my status https://www.playlouder.com/how-to-incorporate-yourself/, and then to understand the requirements for contractors in the American tax system. I hope you succeeded, it really takes a lot of nerves and time.
Bartiasrd

Post by Bartiasrd »

What credit card do you use? I need a credit card that I can use in the USA and Canada. Any ideas?