Form W-9

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

tedmac

Form W-9

Post by tedmac »

I am a Vanguard investor recently moved to Canada. I am also a dual citizen of United States and Canada. Do I need to file a W-9 with Vanguard ? I am pretty sure I will make my primary residence in Canada but I still have a place I rent in the United States which is my address of record. Would be interested in others experience in this area. Thanks.
nirvana_1959

Re: Form W-9

Post by nirvana_1959 »

Submit W-9 to your financial institutions outside US (i.e., in Canada). You will also need to file FBAR with US Treasury. Deadline is April 15th I think.

If you moved in 2021 you probably have to report in 2022 only.
tedmac

Post by tedmac »

My Vanguard accounts are with Vanguard in the USA. I have moved in late 2020. I am living on my Vanguard brokerage accounts from the USA. Do I still have until April 15th to file a W-9 ?
nirvana_1959

Post by nirvana_1959 »

When you established Vanguard accounts in USA you must have given them your social security number for 1099. So, moving to Canada has no impact as you are a US citizen.

W-9 submission is for the new accounts you re going to setup in Canada (basically telling them that you're a US person; this is used for their reporting to US). I am pretty sure they would have asked for one see that you're a US person.

If you had total foreign holdings in excess of $10,000 USD (any day in 2020) you have to file FBAR with US Treasury. You can do it online.