How to report RRSP on 1040 in 2020?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Cangrad

How to report RRSP on 1040 in 2020?

Post by Cangrad »

I am a U.S. citizen living & working in Canada and filing Canadian resident taxes.  In 2020, I opened an RRSP.  How do I handle reporting this plan on my U.S. taxes, especially considering the recent IRS guidance of Rev. Proc. 2020-17, issued in March 2020"? 

1. Can I, and if so, should I deduct my contributions to this RRSP from the foreign earned income I report on my 1040? 

2.  Does this RRSP need to be reported on 1040 Schedule B Part III # 8 as a foreign trust to which I transferred funds?

3.  Do I need to file Form 8833 to justify the way I'm reporting my RRSP ?

4.  Other than Form 8938 which I don't qualify to file yet, are there any other forms I need to file with regard to this account, or anything else important I should know? 

Thank you, in advance, for any guidance you can provide!
Bubba Gums

Re: How to report RRSP on 1040 in 2020?

Post by Bubba Gums »

1) No

2) Yes

3) I do, You may not need to.

4) You need to keep track of your contributions, which are post-tax for the US. When you withdraw the $ you will allocate a portion of the withdrawn amount as a return of contribution (tax free) and a portion as taxable.
Bubba Gums

Post by Bubba Gums »

Oh yeah this needs to be disclosed on FBAR
Cangrad

Post by Cangrad »

Thanks so much for your responses, Bubba Gums! I really hope I don't need to file Form 8833 with regard to my RRSP because I have absolutely no idea of how to properly complete the form. Can you tell me why you have chosen to file this form if there is not a requirement to do so?

Thanks again!