Self-employment tax totalization agreement for partial year residency

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

taxquestions

Self-employment tax totalization agreement for partial year residency

Post by taxquestions »

Say I made 175k USD in 2020. I was a resident of Canada for Q1, and a US resident for the rest of the year. Im a dual citizen.

I earned 25k USD while a resident of Canada (Q1 2020) and paid Canadian income taxes on this 25k. I will claim this on Form 1116 for a FTC (foreign tax credit).

Question:

On this 25K USD Canadian sourced income I also paid CPP (Canadian Social Security). FTC doesnt cover self-employment tax. Would I be able to deduct the CPP paid on this 25K against the self-employment tax owed? Normally I would write "EXEMPT" on Form 1040 (Schedule 2) line 4 "Self-employment tax" as Canadian-US have a Totalization Agreement.
nelsona

Re: Self-employment tax totalization agreement for partial year residency

Post by nelsona »

You should exempt SE income from SE tax on the portion from Q1, by the toatlization agreement. The CPP is a tax credit to be used on 11116, not a SE tax credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D