Moving to US | RSU - Tax Implications

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

maverick_TO

Moving to US | RSU - Tax Implications

Post by maverick_TO »

Hi All,

I will be moving to the US (sometime in 2022), and have questions on RSUs that I have been granted by my employer. Considering that I have not sold any of the RSUs, but have been taxed (in Canada) when the RSUs were granted, my questions follow-

(i) Will it be more tax efficient to sell the vested RSU grants while I'm still a resident of Canada v/s selling them after I move? In the event that I sell them after moving to the US, do I pay taxes both in Canada and the US?
PS: I ask since the RSUs have been appreciating in value, and there's more potential that I see for a rise through 2022

(ii) I know that there is a departure tax that I will need to pay to Canada in 2022. In the event that I sell the RSUs after moving, does the amount need to be reported towards the departure tax filing? Also, what portion of the amount (Say for instance the grant was $100K and the stocks have since appreciated $20K for a total value of $120K, do I pay taxes on the entire $120K?) is taxable?

Many thanks!
NK