Recommendation for a good cross border Financial Planner

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

path

Recommendation for a good cross border Financial Planner

Post by path »

I am a Canadian that is living and working in the US (GC).
Retirement is in sight (4 to 5 yrs out) as I am 55 and my wife is 52 - so we want to start positioning our self for this event.
Our financial picture is fairly complicated
* We have a substantial portfolio in Canadian RRSPs
* We have a growing 401K
* Our Canadian parents are in their 80s - so we will be faced with inheritance issues down the road

Therefore I am looking for a good cross border financial planner to assist us in preparing our financial house for retirement.

My primary financial planning requirements/questions are
* Advise on how best it is for us to proceed - given our current financial situation and our retirement plan (retire in the US in about 5yrs)
* Advise on unlocking RRSP Lira's (I have the ball rolling on this right now)
* What is the best way financially to move the money down to the US
* Advise on Canadian 'CCP and OAS' and US social security
* Help with tax filings as we unwind our Canadian RRSPs
* Advise on cross border inheritance issues
I expect if done right it can save me huge $ - but I need to work with someone knowledgeable on these matters

I also have some secondary financial planning issues that I need to address - but these could be dealt with separately
* I need to get a US will taken care of
* I am looking for a good conservative broker to help manage my portfolio

I have dealt with SERBINSKI in the past (assisted me with my US tax issues) and they were good.
Do you know if they would be able to assist me with my 'primary financial planning requirments'?
And would you recommend them?

I am also thinking of contacting 'Transition Financial Advisors Group'.
They have a good book out called 'The Canadian in America' - and they appear to be well versed in these issue.
Has anyone had any work done with them and would you recommend them?

Does anyone else have any other good cross border financial planner recommendations that I can investigate?

Thanks in advance
stumiller

Post by stumiller »

path,

I am interested in same. I am a perm resident working in PA and (as you might expect being so far form the border) seems very difficult finding a financial planner with experience dealing with CA-US issues. We have kids starting college / university in a few years and we also plan to retire to CA (in about 16 years time) but need to understand how to prepare for that.

- Will we have more luck finding a financial planner located in CA with the experience to help us?
- Should we try to move back to CA much sooner before retirement?
- What kind of tax planning do we need to do?
- What other complications have we not considered?

interested in any responses from others.

Stu
Stu Miller
jenfin

Post by jenfin »

Same situation but I am resident in Canada (Ontario) and have difficulty finding advice/information, albeit many accountants prepare US returns. Just not confident that they are sufficiently knowledgeable about all the nuances. Only 2 firms I've heard of are also Serbinski and Transition partners. Surely they must be overloaded with clients.
RealProf

Post by RealProf »

Pacifica Partners Capital Management is a registered investment advisor with the SEC and a registered Portfolio Manager in a number of Candian Provinces, including BC and Ontario.

They provide financial planning on cross border issues as well as comprehensive management of assets on both sides of the border. Paul Bains heads up their cross border practice and can converse with cross border tax accountants and lawyers, in addition to understanding investments.

Give him a call
Britto32

Post by Britto32 »

Every individual should focus on gaining a good financial health especially for post-retirement. I don’t have much savings right now but thinking to get a saving plan created. Will be consulting a good [url=http://linkfinancialadvisory.com/]wealth management group Las Vegas[/url] for it.
mikie

Post by mikie »

Although I am retired and I moved to the USA in 2015, I also have financial planning questions. See my earlier query re RRIF portfolio in this forum. As nelsona politely pointed out, however, financial planning per se may not be appropriate for a tax forum. If someone knows of a forum that specifically deals with cross border financial planning please let us know.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Keats Connelly had a forum but it is under reconstruction
Financial planning other than in generalities has to be done by someone to whom you reveal ALL your assets and goals --- not in a fotrum
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D