CPP/SS Certificate of Coverage

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:21 am

CPP/SS Certificate of Coverage

Post by andied »

RE the US/Can Totalization agreement RE social security taxes,: If you are a USC and permanent resident of Canada and an employee of a Canadian company, is it necessary to obtain a "Certificate of Coverage" to be exempted from US SS taxes, or is this only for a US employer and an employee working in Canada? Would a USC self-employed in Canada be automatically exempted, or should a Certificate of Coverage be obtained?
Posts: 16654
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Post by nelsona »

A certificate should be sought to avoid SS tax if you are self-employed. Cdn employemnt is never subject to SS, unless part of a pre-arranged short-term transfer.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D
Post Reply