Canadian Employee Pension Plan and U.S. taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Diskdoctor

Canadian Employee Pension Plan and U.S. taxes

Post by Diskdoctor »

My basic question is do Canadian Employee Pension Plans need to be reported when filing U.S. taxes and if so where/how? (I'm not referring to annuities or other payments received from plans but the plans themselves when you are still working)

My situation is that I am a Canadian resident and I (and my employer) contribute to the public service pension plan. My wife is a U.S. citizen so we file U.S. taxes MFJ. For some reason this has not crossed my mind earlier but the value of the pension plan obviously increases every year, does this need to be reported somewhere like our RRSPs? Is any portion of that pension plan considered income now?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No. At this time RPPs are not required to be reported on any Rev Proc staement, 8891, 3520 etc.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Diskdoctor

Post by Diskdoctor »

Good to know. Thanks!