CPP vs U.S. SE and CPT56 form

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

floridasong

CPP vs U.S. SE and CPT56 form

Post by floridasong »

I am a U.S. Citizen w/PR in Canada living with my Canadian husband. I work as independent contractor for a U.S. Company from home. Due to much confusion about filing and bad advice from several tax consultants both in Canada and the US. had to file a few years and am paying back taxes with penalties and late fees which is fine. However, I am told that until I pay up all of my Canadian CPP amounts for those three years they can not issue me a CPT56 although I have paid up all of 2007 CPP and taxes due. Does this mean I will have to pay the U.S. for SE tax also for all three years even though I have paid and am paying them to Canada? I have lived in Canada for 5 years and plan to move back to the U.S. this summer with my husband. Any advice or direction on how best to handle this? I tried filing my own U.S. forms and was told by the IRS that I filled the 1116 wrong and need to now send amendments to all 3 years to correct. Forms are super confusing and language definitely not layman language.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to catch up on your Cdn filings, and need tghe CPT form, or you will have to pay SE tax.

You should be paying CPP, not SE tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
floridasong

thank you for responding

Post by floridasong »

Thank you for your quick reply as I am so anxious about this situation. I am caught up on all my CDN taxes and having 2010 being completed by preparer this week.

So then if I owe taxes for those years I cannot get the CPT56 form then? Just want to double check as this way I will need to file the US amended years and pay the SE to them also as well as keep paying the CPP to Canada.

How much does your office charge for US returns? my email is floridasong@hotmail.com.

I am beside myself trying to get this all cleared up and paying as much into CRA as possible each payperiod.

I so appreciate you taking your personal time at such a busy time of the year to answer my questions.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will get a CPT form effective for the years you paid CPP.

You can look at serbinski's website for contact. I don't work for them or anyone else.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
ciwosejegi

Re: CPP vs U.S. SE and CPT56 form

Post by ciwosejegi »

Accounting firms sometimes give you a big shock stealing your with holding tax percentage. The candidate should know the value of tax from https://www.dissertationhqhelp.com/academized-review/ and you can save your money and time.