State tax with Article XXV

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

craudiu

State tax with Article XXV

Post by craudiu »

Being a married Cdn resident, can I use Article XXV to file state income tax return (specifically NY) as married filing jointly instead of being forced as married filing separately? Or is this only valid for the federal tax (1040)?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The treaty is only binding on federal.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
craudiu

Post by craudiu »

Ok, tough luck then. Thanks nelsona!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Besides, the requirement to file MFS is based on state residence of one and state non-residence of the other.
It has nothing to do with canadian of even foreign residnce, it has to do with living out-of-state, thus no "discrimination" against Canadian resident has occured, and XXV des not apply.

Your spouse could be a US citizen living in VT, and the same processwould be applied to your returns.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
romiwaw

Re: State tax with Article XXV

Post by romiwaw »

I joined this accounting firm a few years ago and I am so much happy to work here, this firm is guiding me in a good way and I am earning money also. if you want to earn some money then visit https://bestwritingservicecanada.com/rush-essay-review/, here so many methods are shared.
mark33

Re: State tax with Article XXV

Post by mark33 »

If you urgently need written help, I advise you to contact the SpeedyPaper https://essaybestwriter.com/speedy-paper-review writing service. They will always help and provide quality paper on time.