W2 and FICA withholding for Canadians

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

InTown

W2 and FICA withholding for Canadians

Post by InTown »

I am currently billing my US client on a CDN Corp to US. Corp basis. As my contracts keep extending beyond the original 6 months, I will ask the US Corp that they put me on W2. I will be doing my income taxes both in Canada and US. Is there a provision with W2 that I don't have to pay FICA since I will be paying CPP in Canada? I have a residence in Canada.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

W-2 is for employees, so don't do that. You should ask for them to put you on 1099.
Better yet, you should be paying estimates tax to US quarterly on your own. that is what most businesses do.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
InTown

Post by InTown »

[quote="nelsona"]W-2 is for employees, so don't do that. You should ask for them to put you on 1099.
Better yet, you should be paying estimates tax to US quarterly on your own. that is what most businesses do.[/quote]

Thank You so much Nelsona, 1099 makes sense, had not thought about that one.