W8 or W8BEN?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dowager

W8 or W8BEN?

Post by dowager »

I am living currently in Canada. I had an employment in US, and has recently been notified that I could either leave my 401k as is, or roll it over to a IRA. I made an application to roll it over to an IRA, but the service provider has now requested for a Form 8 or Form 9 to be filled. Since I am not in US, I believe W8 is relevant, but should I fill out W8 or WBEN? Thanks.

The other question is whether as a non US resident, can I roll it over to a Roth IRA, and if yes, what is the benefit of doing so? Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Since there no longer is a form w-8, then W-8 BEN will have to do.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As to Roth, you should NOT rollover 401(k) or IRA to Roth if you live in Canada as it essentially destroys the Roth.

You should have done this before leaving US. Now, I would suggest you wait until you perhaps move back to US.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
dowager

Post by dowager »

Nelsona, luckily I read your forum again, as I was not aware of the conversion problem of Roth for NR. I was well aware of your advice to convert to Roth before I left, but did not have the time to do it as I left in a hurry.

Which is better? Leave it in 401k or convert to an IRA? What are the differences? Thanks.
dowager

Post by dowager »

I do not think I will be moving back to the US in the future. Does this change your advice?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No it does not. There is no difference between 401(k) or IRA, although IRA will generally be with a plan with many more investment options.