Sailing Permit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

expatriated

Sailing Permit

Post by expatriated »

Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen who worked in the USA on a H1B visa from 2016-2019. In 2019 I left the USA to work in Europe.

For 2019 I filed as a Resident Alien (I still passed the Substantial Presence Test), also declaring my European income from after I left and applying for Foreign Tax Credits (this was processed and accepted by the IRS).

For 2020 I will no longer pass the SPT, therefore I will no longer be a US person, and my intention was not to file anything with the IRS anymore. However, I recently heard about the "sailing permit" which I should technically have applied for BEFORE leaving the USA. As of now, the IRS doesn't know that I am no longer a US person.

My question, should I try and retroactively apply for this sailing permit? In theory all my taxes have been paid so I don't see the point. Should I file anything with the IRS for 2020?

Thank you in advance!
nelsona

Re: Sailing Permit

Post by nelsona »

IN 20 years I know of no CDn that has has to file a sailing permit. Forget about that.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
expatriated

Post by expatriated »

Reviving this one since my question is related.

I had no intention to file anything with the IRS in 2020 since I longer pass the SPT (I live in Europe and I am not American), however I received the following forms from my US Bank.

1099-R --> I had put some money into a Roth IRA and then removed the same amount, which triggered this form. The "distribution" on here should not be taxable.
1099 --> very small amount of interest from a taxable account (10$ or so)
5498 --> showing the balance of my HSA, but no contributions or distributions.

Do I need to file anything with the IRS for 2020?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are fine. Declare the interest income in your home country.
I don't know what the rules are in your home country with regards to the Roth, the HSA, or any other account you might have in US; not a subject for this forum.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
expatriated

Post by expatriated »

Understood, thank you!