U.S. citizen and Canadian PR working remotely from Canada for U.S. employer (on W-2)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

llll

U.S. citizen and Canadian PR working remotely from Canada for U.S. employer (on W-2)

Post by llll »

I am a U.S. citizen and a Canadian permanent resident. Is it OK for me to work remotely from Canada for a U.S. employer? The U.S. employer will be paying me as a regular U.S. employee and withholding taxes for IRS, and will issue W-2. Working as a contractor etc. is not an option. My U.S. employer running a Canadian payroll for me is not an option.

1. From IRS perspective: Is it legal for me to work for U.S. employer remotely from Canada while getting paid on U.S. payroll as a regular U.S. employee?
2. From CRA perspective: Is it legal for me to work for U.S. employer remotely from Canada while getting paid on U.S. payroll as a regular U.S. employee?
3. How do I go about filing my taxes with IRS and CRA so as not to have to pay double taxes? Please note that I do not have ability to ask my employer to hire me as a contractor instead.
4. Can CRA force me to pay fines on behalf of my U.S. employer if they think my employer should have been running a Canadian payroll and issuing T4 etc. since I have been working remotely from Canada?