one more question regarding pregnancy EI

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

usacanada1

one more question regarding pregnancy EI

Post by usacanada1 »

I just read in another topic, from nelsona replying to a poster:

"By the way, you won't be entitled to EI if you leave Canada, unless its for maternity leave."

My husband and I are moving to the U.S. within the next 6-12 months (I'm American, he's Canadian). I'm a permanent resident in Ontario, so I have OHIP. What exactly are the rules for receiving EI in the U.S. once we move if I'm on maternity leave? I've read a couple links from the Canadian government website but a lot of their explanations are over my head. Can anyone explain it so it's a bit easier for me to understand? Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can collect mat leave EI while outside Canada, unlike regular EI benefits.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp? ... tml&hs=eza

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">"Maternity, parental, sickness and compassionate care benefits can be paid to you if you are living in the United States as long as you meet the requirements for these benefits."<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

So, if you are collecting it before you leave, you will still collect after.

How much clearer do you need?[:D]

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
usacanada1

Post by usacanada1 »

Thank you! I basically just wanted someone to confirm it. Excellent! :D
sam75

Post by sam75 »

You can collect EI for maternity purposes even if you in USA, but you have to apply before you leave. One can even collect parental while living in states (which applies to me as I was on parental leave when I left Canada).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">but you have to apply before you leave<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Technically, as long as you meet the criteria for receiving mat/pat leave, which requires you to have worked a certain time at some point in the previous 52 weeks, you could make a mat/pat claim after having left Canada.

usacanada1

Post by usacanada1 »

Yes, you can start the claim in the U.S. I finally got ahold of someone at hrsdc.
sam75

Post by sam75 »

New info, because when I called HRSDC, I was adviced that I have to apply before I leave the country. Anyways, good luck for that.
flames9

Post by flames9 »

Regarding regular EI (not maternity) You can apply after you are in the USA.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Regarding regular EI (not maternity) You can apply after you are in the USA.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Sure. But you will only collect benefites if you entitled to work in US after leaving Canada.