W9 to mutual fund company required after moving to US?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

brent

W9 to mutual fund company required after moving to US?

Post by brent »

I'm a Canadian living/working in the US for several years. I recently contacted the fund companies for my RRSPs to inform them that I'm no longer a Canadian resident (I let that slip for a few funds). Most were fine with the change but one is now requiring that I send them a W9 as proof of US residence.

Is this really required? Other fund companies with a US presence didn't ask for this. If I've elected to defer tax on this fund with my 8891 and I send in the W9 what do I do when they send me a 1099?

thanks in advance!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is normal for a Cdn payor to request a W-9 for any US resident. Every one I ever dealt with asked for one. Having or not havin ga "US presence" has no bearing.

I would not expect that you will be issued a 1099, except in some rare cases where your RRSP must pay US tax on a dividend payout, You would simply include any US tax withheld (but not the income) on your US return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D