New CRA rules for Roth IRAs

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cfn2007

New CRA rules for Roth IRAs

Post by cfn2007 »

Please see the technical news bulletin from the CRA regarding Roth IRAs at [url]http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/itnew ... s-43-e.pdf[/url]

Looks like Canadians with Roths need to make a 1-time election by April 15, 2011.

This seems to be good news as it offers some clarity.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thank you CFN,

The bulletin does indeed specify the need to REPORT the existence of a Roth ONE TIME.

It als clarifies that once a contribution is made while a resident in canada, the Roth is, in essence, broken for Candian purposes, both with respect to taxation, and with resopect to foreign reporting.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/itnew ... s-43-e.pdf
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The requirement to report is next tax season, or, if not currentlt resident in canada, the first tax return you fiel in Canada as a resident.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

by the way, the reporting date next year is April 30th, 2011, which is the Cdn tax deadline, not April 15th.
eortlund

Post by eortlund »

Thanks--I looked over that link.I'm a bit confused--can I send in the info about our Roth IRAs with our normal tax forms, or do I need to send something separate to a different address?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It seems that you send it to a separate location, next tax season.

I don't know what you "overlooked" the IT was released last week.
aniagara

Post by aniagara »

Hi! Thank you all so much for the outstanding advice on here. Dumb question - what do the new rules mean in plain english? Basically, if you have a Roth, and report it, you won't incur any additional taxes on it in Canada? It will be the same as if you still live in the US?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes. It also means that the instant you make a new contribution to a Roth while living in Canada, the tax shelter ends for CRA purposes -- THAT is the important point.
aniagara

Post by aniagara »

great - many thanks. I didn't think I could contribute anymore now that I'm in Canada (or due to income eligibility change or something - apologies, can't remember) - so contributions not an issue, just sitting on it.

Many thanks again!
LaurRobin

Re: New CRA rules for Roth IRAs

Post by LaurRobin »

Serbians is issued for the methods for all forms. Paths of the team and https://www.toppaperwritingservice.com/ ... rsowl-com/ are shifted for the goals. Plant is fit for the hope of the true ways for the changes for the individuals.