In Canada for three years, tax stratergy, RRSP, TFSA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

royals1982

In Canada for three years, tax stratergy, RRSP, TFSA

Post by royals1982 »

Background:

27 year old, single, New Zealand citizen. I have lived the last ten years in the US, on a student visa and for the last four on an H1B (work visa). I am currently in Calgary on a Canadian work permit and plan on remaining here until May 2013. After that I will be returning to the US to work for three more years on my H1B and then returning to New Zealand. The following is my tax strategy whilst in Canada. I would appreciate any comments or recommendations.

Salary + Bonus = $80,000
TFSA Contribution = $5,000
RRSP Contribution = not allowed

Salary + Bonus = $95,000
RRSP Contribution = $11,000 (18% of prior years income, note that I was not in Canada for the full year)

Salary + Bonus = $100,000
RRSP Contribution = $17,100

Salary + Bonus = $110,000
RRSP Contribution = $18,000

Time to leave

Balances

TFSA - $25,000 (assuming modest growth)
RRSP - $55,000 (assuming modest growth)

Withdrawal Strategy

TFSA – not too much strategy here, I will simply sell everything in my account and request a cheque from Questrade prior to leaving Canada.

RRSP – For simplicity sake let’s say I am leaving at the end of May, 2013. In early May I will sell all the investments in my RRSP and buy new investments, thus increasing the basis in my investments to the current market value. I will then leave Canada cutting all ties for tax purposes, upon returning to the US I will begin making periodic withdrawals from my RRSP which should only be exposed to the 15% Canadian withholding plus any capital gains that have amassed (since increasing my basis by selling a re-buying my portfolio in May, 2013) would be subject to tax in the US.

OK here are my questions:

The withholding rate is confusing to me, I spoke with Questrade and they told me that they withhold the following on withdrawal amounts of $0-$5,000 = 5%, $5,001 - $15,000 = 10%, >$15,000 = 15%.

From reading the CRA website and the US/Canada treaty it appears that the withholding should be either 15% or 25% dependent on if the withdrawal is made as a periodic payment or a lump sum.

So if I make periodic withdrawals over 2013-2017 am I required to file a Canadian tax return each year? Additionally how do I determine the allowable withdrawal amount to qualify for “periodic withdrawalâ€￾ status?

My ideal situation would be to pull it out in $15,000 chunks and pay the 10% withholding through Questrade and be done with it from a Canadian tax prospectus, is this possible or just wishful thinking?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The withdrawal rates you were quoted are for withdrawals made by Cdn RESIDENTS, and have nothing to do with the final tax you would owe/pay on that income when residing in canada. Residents are required to add any RRSP withdrawals to their income, and be taxed on it, The withholding is merely to avoid a huge tax bill.

For NON_residents, like you would plan to be when making the withdrawal, the TAX is a flat 25% withheld at source and that is it -- you do not file a tax return for this. Your withdrawal would not be considered periodic, even if taken over 4 years, unless (a) you converted to a RRIF, and (b) each year you only took out twice the minimum RRIF ammount, which judging from your age would proboably be less that $1000 per year. This is meant for true pensioners.

So your tax rate will be 25%, whether you take a dollar or the whole sum.
Take the whole sum. You will still be saving the tax money you would have paid had you not RRSPed.

Job for you: research the NZ-Canada treaty to see if there is a better tax rate for Cdn pensions paid to NZ citizens regardless of country of residence. My guess is there is not, but you never know.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
royals1982

Post by royals1982 »

Thanks for the advise, I had a look in my tax facts book and the NZ/CDN Treaty is the same as the US/CDN (15%/25%). So I guess my tax savings wont be quite as large as I had hoped but savings none the less.
royals1982

Post by royals1982 »

Well on second thoughts I may be better just to keep my funds in a margin account and take more of a dividend yield approach......well at least now I know the implications of an RRSP now I just need to put together a few scenarios in excel....assuming no growth or loss or dividends a RRSP would be a no brainer, however if I have any of those the benefit of the RRSP starts decreasing and with a starting benefit of 11% (36% marginal less 25% witholding) it would not take much to destroy that margin..
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your home could also be used as a tax-free investment.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D