Tax for house sale

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

srini88

Tax for house sale

Post by srini88 »

Hi Nelson

Thanks for your response on taxes on house rentals. We have decided to sell the house instead and had two related questions. Again, I am not a US citizen, but am moving to the US and am a current Canadian PR.
1. What are the tax implications in Canada and US if I sell my home and then move to the US?
2. What are the tax implications if we chose to move to the US before our home can be sold?

Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1, None. Your home is sold tax free for both Cdn and US taxes.
2. Assuming it was never rented out, If sold in the first year after move, no Cdn tax. If sold within 3 years after move, no US tax.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
srini88

Post by srini88 »

Thanks nelsona, much appreciated. So essentially if the house is sold in the 2nd yr, we will have to pay Canadian taxes, but no US taxes assuming it isn't rented out?

Thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You may have to pay Cdn tax a small portion of the overall gain on the house, if sold after 12 months of more abroad.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D