Dual Citizenship Tax Implications

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

KevinM

Dual Citizenship Tax Implications

Post by KevinM »

I am a Canadian who is starting to apply for dual citizenship. By the time I retire I will of worked 17yrs in Canada and 23 yrs in US. In Canada I will have a pension from a Cdn employer, CPP and Old Age. In the US I will have 401k and social security. Current plan is to retire back to Canada
1)Any tax advantage to retire in US vs Canada
2)How will I be taxed on US income (401k, soc sec) when back in Canada. I don't believe I will be doubled taxed but will pay Cdn tax.
3)Also I understand it would be in my best interest before I move back to convert my 401k to a Roth. I will not be retiring for another 10yrs- should I be contributing to a Roth now rather then 401k?
4)Any other tax concerns I should be aware of?
Thanks in advance
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

1) Of course. You will only pay 15% Cdn tax on your CPP, pension and OAS (you won't get full oAS because you did not live 40 years as an adult in canada), and also report these on your US return, getting credit for the Cdn tax. The US tax rate is lower than canada, especially if yoy retire to a no state tax state.
Your oAS will not be subject to any clawback if you are in US.
2) These will be taxed in Canada, and 401(K) will be reported in US. canada will give credit for US tax on the 401(k).
3) You should eventually have as little taxable pension as possible.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Don't fund a TFSA
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If the choice is 401(k) or Roth, then 401(k) is still better (you may be able to do both depending on income). But if your firm as a roth401(k), you should probably be switching to that.

the less you have taxable if you move to Canada the better.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

And just so you know, your CPP will result i na reduced SS, regardless of where you live, due to WEP.
KevinM

Post by KevinM »

Thanks for the information.
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

This is a pesky little bug with me but it bothers me whan I read someone write that they are "applying for dual citizenship" because there is no such thing. I know we use the term "dual citizen" in the vernacular, but you don't "apply to become a dual citizen": You apply to become a US citizen (while remaining a Cdn citizen).