moving from USA to Canada - retirement investment

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Rajaijah

moving from USA to Canada - retirement investment

Post by Rajaijah »

Hi all,

I immigrated to Canada this year from USA. I have about 10K in my 403b and about 4K in IRA and 12K in roth. I am confused about the best way of handling this investments.

Little about my tax status in usa: I have been working in the USA for 9 years (7 years as student + 2 years employment). I am not a green card holder. I worked till May 2010 and quit my job and relocated to Canada. I will be filing 2010 return.

[b]Regarding retirement investments
[/b]
I know I can withdraw 10K for first home purchase from IRA without penalty. Can I do it after 2 years or has to be done while I was in USA. I am looking at buying my first home which will be in canada in the next 2 years.

If I can withdraw , say in 2012. do i have to file tax in USA. If I do, will the distribution come under the 30% flat tax or will get normal treatment (meaning personal exemption and standard deduction)

[b]Regarding non retirement investments[/b]

I have investment portfolio with fidelity and scottrade. Can i keep trading while I am not in USA. If I can, what are the tax implications. do i just file Canada tax and declare foreign income or do i have to pay US tax as well.

I am eventually planning to move all my investments to a Canadian discount broker. But I need to know if its a must for me to transfer now or can I do it next year.

Thank you all for the great help in this forum