Credit Cards & Establishing Credit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

bbradyc5

Credit Cards & Establishing Credit

Post by bbradyc5 »

I will be moving to the US from Canada soon and have researched what I could find on trying to establish a new credit history in the US and the frustration people usually end up having. I have applied for a TD GM VISA as I have read that this is one of the few cards that they will convert to a US Charge Card. Can anyone with this experience explain the details on this process? Also, with my current charge card, Capital One, can I keep this account open when I move for the short term, or am I forced to clos this account immediately? Any help or nput anyone can provide on the best measures to take to try and establish a new credit history ASAP in the US is gladly appreciated.

The newest Detroit suburb ...... Windsor!
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

You are doing the right thing, applying for a credit card that will convert to a US card. Do not close your Capital One card. Just change your address with them. It is very handy to keep Cdn credit cards on the go - for visits, Cdn on-line purchases, etc. Even if your new Cdn credit card can be converted to a US card, it will take a while (maybe 6 months) to get into the "system". And many places will still deny you credit because of too short a credit history.
bbradyc5

Post by bbradyc5 »

Thanks Pamela, will Capital One give me a hassle when trying to change my new address to a US address or is it no problem at all?

The newest Detroit suburb ...... Windsor!
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

It's a simple address change, nothing more. Same as letting friends and other businesses know.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

We have has TD visa card with our US address for years now.

No issues, and great for Cdn purchases/vacations, etc.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
flames9

Post by flames9 »

I'm a Cdn down here in the USA(permanent resident--cr-1 visa) I have been told American Express will transfer a Cdn account to an American one. From my understanding many USA companies can search your CDn credit history, but many are to lazy to do so. Best of luck
sam75

Post by sam75 »

For some reason, I didn't face this credit history problem - probably because after moving here I kept my job and used all my build up vacation where I was able to claim the Canadian employment income as my source. And I got 2 CC in 2 weeks.

With MBNA MC and CIBC Visa - I had problem in changing to a US address but while applying in USA, MBNA did recognize my Canadian Credit history and help me establish a new one in USA. They simply asked for my Canadian SIN and DL#.