Taking stab at 3520, -A for TFSA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

eriquee

Re: Taking stab at 3520, -A for TFSA

Post by eriquee »

You guys are awesome, thank you so much for everyone input, it made my Forms 3520/3520A a breeze compared to how frustrated and desperate I was before finding this amazing forum!
eriquee

How to get RBC direct investing EIN number.

Post by eriquee »

Hello,

How did you guys get the EIN number?

I called RBC direct investing and they simply didn't know.

Anywhere else I could get that information?
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

Hi eriquee - To get the EIN, you have to contact the IRS directly. I am not sure if you can do it all on line, or if you have to call them. But it is not too hard, and it's free. I did mine over the phone to get it immediately, and it took maybe 30 minutes. Good luck!
Not a professional opinion.
eriquee

Post by eriquee »

[quote=CdnAmerican post_id=51188 time=1551206951 user_id=5924]
Hi, eriquee - To get the EIN, you have to contact the IRS directly. I am not sure if you can do it all on line, or if you have to call them. But it is not too hard, and it's free. I did mine over the phone to get it immediately, and it took maybe 30 minutes. Good luck!
[/quote]

Thank you for this.

Is the EIN number for me or for my TFSA, or for my bank, I tried calling them but I didn`t quite understand what the telephone person was saying.
CdnAmerican

Post by CdnAmerican »

I got the EIN for the trust itself. If you don't have an SSN, I think you would apply for one for yourself as well, but that's just a guess..
Not a professional opinion.
efrog

Post by efrog »

This thread has been incredibly informative. Thank you all for taking time to post.

From my research it still doesn't appear that the IRS has taken an official position on the trust/not trust issue (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Is the general consensus here that we should continue filing these forms to be safe? Or have people stopped filing? I'm leaning towards filing the forms to be safe but it sure is a lot of work...

Thanks.
a_bushati

Post by a_bushati »

Does anyone know if a non-registered Canadian retirement savings plan (Deferred Contribution) needs to be included in the form 3520-A and 3520?
Thank you
Canadianinus

Post by Canadianinus »

This forum is so helpful for my 3520 and 3520A, but I didn't realized that the mutual fund holdings in my RESP and TFSA are treated as PFIC until now, I never file 8621 since 2012. My questions:
1. There is only reinvested dividends from the mutual fund, do I have to file 8621?
2. If I have to file 8621 for each year since 2012, for Part II Elections, should I select : A Election to treat the PFIC as a QEF each year?
3. Can I choose Part II: D Deemed sale election instead of going back to file amendment for my previous years of income tax?
Thanks!