am I required to file US tax return?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

sheri

am I required to file US tax return?

Post by sheri »

I work on a TN visa in the US for a Canadian company which I own and is incorporated in Canada. I get paid in Canadian funds and file Canadian income tax. I travel back and forth weekly. My home and my family are in Canada.

I have two US bank accounts which I use when in the US. Currently I do not own any property in the US.

Do I have to file a US tax return?

thanks,
Sheri
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

New rules enacted in the canada/US treaty now make you taxable in US (federally) if you spend more than 183 days in any particular 365-day period. This is regardless of the visa status you work under.

The state in which you are working may require tax regardless of this 183-day threshhold.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

asny US tax you would owe and pay would be creditable on your Cdn return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
sheri

Post by sheri »

my tax home is in Canada. will i not qualify for an exemption?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your tax home being in canada merely allows you to be treated as a Cdn tax resident and US non-resident. It does not preclude the US from taxing US-sourced income.

The treaty now considers time spent in US in determining whether business income should be taxed by US.

If you were living in US, then ALL income you made would become taxable in US. With your home in Canada, only your US-sourced business income is taxable in US.

The exemption you may be referring to has been done away with, with the most recent treaty.