evaluating niche cross-border investment firms

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

keyofdminor

evaluating niche cross-border investment firms

Post by keyofdminor »

I am contemplating a move from the US back to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen with a significant investment in both retirement and non-retirement accounts.

From previous posts/answers, I have been investigating the niche players in cross-border investments. e.g. Pacifica Partners, Seabank Capital, and Maquarie (which bought Blackmont, I believe).

Aside from the obvious fee comparisons, how does one research such companies? How do I verify that they are reputable?

I know some basic mainstream investment strategies (e.g. prefer low-cost, index mutual funds over load funds), but I'm no expert. Because of the small segment for this market, it is hard to research the niche of cross-border investments.

What would you consider?

thanks
M.
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

I've worked with the guys at Pacifica and can definitely vouch for their level of cross border investment knowledge and client service.

Hope that helps

Phil
Phil Hogan, CA, CPA (Colorado)
Cross-border investment advisor
http://philhogan.com
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
readtheform

Post by readtheform »

Hi. I am looking into Pacifica Partners and I just wanted to check in here to see if anyone has more to add in terms of evaluating them. keyofdminor -- did you choose to invest with them?

cheers.
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

Also, don't forget about Dan Walkow in Whiterock BC.

Dan Walkow
1-604-630-8701
Seabank Capital
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
readtheform

Post by readtheform »

How do I evaluate all these firms? To me, they are just names and they all say they want to make money for me. Are they all ok? Aside from cross-border expertise, how do they compare to Average Joe Investment Advisor at Major Canadian Bank?
Phil Hogan, CA

Post by Phil Hogan, CA »

How much do you need to invest?

Phil
250-661-9417
Victoria BC
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As the thread implies, they are niche market simply because Joe at your local Cdn bank is forbidden to deal with many of the cross-border issues -- never mind qualified -- raised here.

Obviously vigilence is always required on the part of any investor.
At least with 2 players in the market place, you have a choice.

There are not many others however.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
readtheform

Post by readtheform »

Yes they are niche markets. I already irreversibly screwed up most of my cross-border stuff (because I didn't read this forum before moving) so 90% of what I need is general good management of my savings. For choosing Pacifica or Seabank I think at the end of the day I don't really know how to choose an investment advisor. So the fact that there are only two choices in some ways makes it easier. I just wonder if anyone has experience and can tell me that yes, they'll take good care of money. Or Pacifica is just 5 guys and 3 years as a firm and that should be a big red warning sign to me. Or something like that. I'll be investing like $200k.
RealProf

Post by RealProf »

Pacifica Partners` team, at the time of writing this, consists of two CFAs, Four MBAs, two CFPs, and three CIMs. Everyone at their firm is over 35 but under 50. They should be around long enough to take care of most people well into retirement and yet are experienced enough to matter. Seabank has one advisor and he is nearing retirement age.
readtheform

Post by readtheform »

FWIW, I was a Pacifica client. I was very unimpressed with their customer service and domain knowledge.