Non Resident Tax Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Peonies1022

Re: Non Resident Tax Question

Post by Peonies1022 »

Peonies1022 wrote:
> Peonies1022 wrote:
> > nelsona wrote:
> > > When your accountant put a departure date of 2016, he is doing it the the
> > > 2016 return. They will of course revaluate that return, and 2017, 2018, and
> > > 2019, as well as *possibly* (but not necessarily) 2013 14 and 16.
> >
How would they evaluate 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020? I have not filed any taxes for those years because my accountant told me when he did the 2016 taxes that it was it, go in the US and enjoy your life?

If I end up giving a departure date won't they just stop at that date? Example 2016? and do I need to do a tax return for that year for Quebec? It is all so confusing.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, simply tell CRA that you already filed a departure return for 2016.
Just be sure that (a) it was indeed filed for both federal and QC, and (b) you did not collect any Cdn benefits during the period after 2015.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Tell CRA and MRQ
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

nelsona wrote:
> So, simply tell CRA that you already filed a departure return for 2016.
> Just be sure that (a) it was indeed filed for both federal and QC, and (b)
> you did not collect any Cdn benefits during the period after 2015.

I did not collect any benefits for 2016 and I had no income and it was only filed for Federal not Quebec - my accountant said because it was a non resident that he only needed to do Federal and he said Canada will let Quebec know. But there was no date of departure on the tax form that is what the agent said today. So I'm truly a confused to the whole process - it shouldn't have to be so complicated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Correct. As sooon as you left Canada in 2013, you should have filed a departure return in spring 2014, and all this would be a distant memory.

CRA does NOT inform MRQ that you became non-resident. Looks like your cpa may have made some errors.

Nothing much more can be said than I have already pointed out in this thread.
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

If I simply send a letter to CRA stating my date of departure would that be enough?
Is it too late to do my 2016 taxes to MRQ?
Again my apologies for these questions, as you have been very helpful to me.
I agree with you, my cpa did do lots of mistakes and he was not very communicative with me - I think he was thinking more about money then helping.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would send the letter to BOTH CRA and MRQ and if MRQ asks you for a return, then send one.
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

Thank you so much!
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

Peonies1022 wrote:
> nelsona wrote:
> > AS I said, modifying past tax returns ALLOWS them, not FORCES them to look
> > back if they wish.
> > I wouldn't worry about it; you have a CPA working with you, so seek his
> > advice.
>
> Thank you, the problem is my CPA is not really giving me any advice - he truly
> doesn't help me, so I have to figure it out myself but I thank you for all your
> guidance.

I'm sorry I keep having questions but one question keeps coming to mind --
why would MRQ contact me after 4 years? Because my last income tax was 2016 to which I declared being a non resident?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You said you only filed with CRA. Obviously they do not know you are non-resident, and it takes time for them to dig through their files and find missing returns.

I think we have spent enough time on this.
Peonies1022

Post by Peonies1022 »

Yes, I did and my apologies for all the questions, just a little nervous with everything!

Thank you for your help.