Has a running business in Canada, Wants to move to USA, Tax implications

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Jahid

Has a running business in Canada, Wants to move to USA, Tax implications

Post by Jahid »

Hello All,

I would like to get opinion of the experts on a tax situation.

My wife and I are Canadian Citizens. My wife is now working in USA on a TN visa. I am living here in Calgary and planning to move to join her in Summer 2021.

I own 100% of a consulting Company A.
Also company A owns 50% of another company B. (The other 50% are between two other shareholders)
Company B has a promise to do good business and continue to give dividend.

What will be the tax implications when I move to the US? At my current TAX understanding level, I do not like to dissolve company A. and also the association with companyB.

I own a house (mortgage around 250K). I have RRSP, LIRA, non-RRSP and TFSA accounts.

Should we keep a resident status in Canada and file tax-es in both countries?

Pleas advice. I have been reading threads in this forum. However, I could not find any such.

Thanks in advance.
Chet Funk

Re: Has a running business in Canada, Wants to move to USA, Tax implications

Post by Chet Funk »

I reckon, Canada is a good place to run a business smoothly but mostly people want to shift their business in America which is a bigger business hub than Canada. I would like to read [url=https://awriter.org/essay-writing-services/]paper writing service review[/url] to appreciate your efforts to assist businessmen by sharing some useful information here in this post so thank you so much.
Chet Funk

Re: Has a running business in Canada, Wants to move to USA, Tax implications

Post by Chet Funk »

I reckon, Canada is a good place to run a business smoothly but mostly people want to shift their business in America which is a bigger business hub than Canada. I would like to visit https://awriter.org/writemypaper4me-org-review/ website to appreciate your efforts to assist businessmen by sharing some useful information here in this post so thank you so much.