Tax Questions Upon Reentering Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

castro

Tax Questions Upon Reentering Canada

Post by castro »

Sorry to intrude in this forum as I am not from US. But I think some people in the forum will be able to share their experiences.

Just have a very simple question about taxes in Canada.

I am expecting to land in Canada next March 2006. Will be staying for about 2 weeks after which I return to my country and continue to work. My savings aren't enough yet so I will have to continue to work in my country. My plan also is finally settlle for good in Canada on 2007. On my return to Canada, I will be bringing my savings. This is my question. Is the money I am bringing on my return to Canada taxable?

How about if I transfer the money thru bank channels. Will I pay taxes?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Castro

Castro
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

What kind of country do you think you are coming to?

Canada has INCOME tax, not wealth tax.

The INCOME you make before becoming a tax resident will never be taxed by Canada.

You will only become a tax resident when you move here in 2007. Landing for a couple of weeks will not make you a tax resident.

The manner in which you transfer it cahnges nothing. Do it as safely and conveniently as you can.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
castro

Post by castro »

Thanks Nelsona for your very expert advice.

I will be coming from the Philippines. From what you are telling me that it is no problem at all. If I carry this money with me on my reentry. must I declare this money to customs officer?

I plan to open a bank account in Canada once I land there next year. Will this make me a resident of Canada for tax purposes? I've read somewhere that once you have a bank account it Canada, it establishes residential ties with Canada and that you are now liable to pay taxes. I just want to open an account so that I can transfer funds to Canada.

Thanks again.

Castro
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will have to declare if the ammount is greater than $10,000 and if it is not traceable (cassh, travellers checks). If it is a bank to bank transfer then you should be fine. Declaring it doesn't mean anything

Opening a Cdn bank account does not make you a Cdn tax resident.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>