Canadian moving to US - Filing Canadian Taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

anurse

Canadian moving to US - Filing Canadian Taxes

Post by anurse »

Hey gurus, here's my situation:

0) Resident of BC up to Sept 28, 2009
1) Entered the US on a TN-1 Visa Sept 28, 2009 and severed residential ties to Canada
2) Started work at a US company on Oct 5, 2009
3) Changed to an H-1B in November
4) Had Canadian-source income PRIOR to Sept 28th
5) Had US-source income AFTER Sept 28th
6) Filed US 1040NR (did not pass substantial presence test) for US-source income in 2009

I have no major residential ties to Canada. I don't own a home in Canada, no spouse or dependents, just a bank account, a credit card, and some student loans.

I'm trying to prepare my Canadian Tax Return and I'm a little confused. I'm using QuickTax online, but not opposed to filling out forms by hand and mailing if QT can't support the kind of return I need to file.

So, here are my questions:
a) Do I file as a resident of BC or as a Non-Resident? My initial research indicated that I should file as BC resident and indicate my departure date
b) If I file as BC resident, do I have to include the US-sourced Income using a Foreign Slip, even though it is after I severed residential ties to Canada?
c) And a more trivial one: On the Foreign slip, do I enter the amounts in US dollars (since there is an exchange rate field) or do I convert to Canadian?

Thanks in advance!
-Andrew