complex tax situation

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rg1495

complex tax situation

Post by rg1495 »

Hi Guys....I am in a little fix and need some help.

I was living in US in 2008 and showed that I was a non resident of canada to CRA. I moved back to Canada on Sept 1, 2009 and worked for 4 months in Ontario. Do I need to show my US income for tax purposes to canada earned during the first 8 months?....or can I just show the income for the 4 months I lived in Canada (since I became a canadian resident only during the last 4 months). Ofcourse if I am showing part year residency, I would assume that my federal/provincial credits would be 1/3 of the full amount allowed?. I have unused RRSP contribution of $15000 from previous years. I did put in a couple of thousand in RRSP this year for 2009. Can I claim that as deduction?

Thanks in advance for your help.
1canuck

Re: complex tax situation

Post by 1canuck »

If you were a NR of Canada for tax purpose in 2009, you need to show only the income from Canadian sources for that year. Yes you are right, the credits would be prorated. Others will be able to comment on your RRSP related question.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

He mpvd back in Sept so he cannot be non-res for entire year.

I will answer these questions in May.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
rg1495

Post by rg1495 »

Still not clear on what I should do guys. Which form do I fill for a part year resident?......I mean where do I indicate the date of return?

Thanks.