Obama Nationalizing 401K - implications

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

buell

Obama Nationalizing 401K - implications

Post by buell »

I have caught wind of a rumor that Pres. Obama may convert 401k's into some kind of government bond or annuity as a way to grab some funds for the nations debt...(do a google search if you don't believe me.)
So I've come to this incredible resource - Serbinski - to ask the knowledgeable folks what is ACTUALLY going on, and what implications it has for a Canadian resident who has a 401K in the United States. I did not see any other posts on this topic so I think it may prove prescient for a lot of Canadians, like myself, who have a 401 K in the US.

My Story:
Approx. $25,000 - 401k
CDN Resident/Citizen (Not a US citizen or US visa holder)
32 years old

Assumptions:
1) Willing to leave the money untouched until retirement age 59, but I'm growing increasingly weary of the financial turmoil in the US and worry about confiscation;
2) I know nothing very little about TAXES in Canada or the US....thus, all observations are appreciated;
3) I cannot move the 401k into an IRA/Roth because brokerages won't deal with me as a foreign resident (damn I wished I knew about conversion before I left) - or at least I don't think I can convert!
4) Right now I'm starting to think it makes sense to collapse the 401k and pay the penalty -- HOWEVER, I'm a student and don't have much income right now to apply for the Foreign Tax Credit.

Thanks in advance for all credible information or general observations ... you've got my attention!