Foreign Tax credit in US - Should it be dollar to dollar?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

leescm4

Foreign Tax credit in US - Should it be dollar to dollar?

Post by leescm4 »

The total of Cad bank interests on all T5 let say = Cad 5000. I figure out using Quick Tax (Canada) for filing, the tax owe is let say Cad 1000.

When adding this Cad 5000 bank interest + Cad 1000 tax paid (ie: converted to USD) to Turbo Tax in 1099-INT section with foreign tax paid (Cad 1000 equivalent) specified and claiming foreign tax credit (Cad 5000 equivalent), it turns out my US tax owe increases a few US hundred dollars (compared with before entering this Cad bank interest in 1099-INT)

My understanding is it should be a dollar to dollar (ie: converted to USD amount) so that it will almost write off the tax I already pay in Canada? But now, by reporting the Cad bank interest, there is a few hundred dollars more added to my US tax owe. Is it double taxation?

Please advice.
Thanks.