TN-1- first time filing

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

BC Gal

TN-1- first time filing

Post by BC Gal »

Hi, I'm here in the US on a N-1 visa. Met adn exceeded the substantial presence test and was happily done with my 1040 form until now.
I've read many pages into the forum and have tried to pull as much as I can but still have a couple of questions so here goes.

1. T5 - I have a small amount of dividend income. How do I declare this on my US taxes? does seem to fit on the td f 90-22.1 (which doesn't let me input my SSN). Then there's a schedule B form? Which form do I submit? Both? THe data doesn't seem readily transeferable.

2. form 3520 .. I don't have a trust but my folks gave me 1,000 to help with medical bills. DO I have to list that on this form?

THank you!
I'm very nervous about this whole process - it's overwhelming despite my efforts to look on the IRS site, use Turbotax, consult forums.. I appreciate any guidance you can offer!
It seemed so simple in the beginning...
BC Gal

Post by BC Gal »

Please excuse the typos!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your 1040 had to include all 2009 income, even from before your arrival, or you filed incorrectly.

3520 doesn't apply to you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
BC Gal

Post by BC Gal »

Absolutely! ALl of 2009 was spent in the US with no outside income besides the dividend (still don't have a "form-home" that makes sense for me on that one) and a gift from my folks. But it's just really hard to know where to put things correctly on these forms. :?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

gifts are not taxable.

Dividends go the line for dividends.

You shoud not have a "form home" otherthan where you actually live. Brokers are not supposed to deal with foeign residents, so you are making them break the law.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D