RRSP reporting requirements

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cdn0207

RRSP reporting requirements

Post by cdn0207 »

A long story, but will try to keep it brief.

I am a Canadian green card holder who has been in the US since 1997.
Recently while trying to determine the tax implications via the internet of cashing out a small Canadian RRSP to get some needed cash I discovered that I should have been filing a tax deferment along with my 1040 all these years. I had no idea, I thought it was covered by Canadian tax laws where I would have to pay tax to whomever when I withdrew the funds. I also found via the internet where I could fill out a 8891 with a 1040X amendment that should cover me for all previous years of ignorance. I have been filing all my 1040 tax return via e-file all these years and had answered that I did have foreign accounts > 10,000 US with details of the investments. (~5,000 cdn RRSP mutual fund and ~24,000 cdn cd RRSP rollover account). I figured if I e-filed I didn't need to send anyone any paperwork. Doing more research in the past few days I found out I should have been sending a paper TD F 90-22.1 form to the US Treasury department. Well I haven't. What are my options and do I need a lawyer?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you read the thread on 8891 below yours you will learn all you need to know.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>