OHIO & MICHIGAN TAX RETURN - NON RESIDENT

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

workingintheus

OHIO & MICHIGAN TAX RETURN - NON RESIDENT

Post by workingintheus »

Im a Canadian Resident working in the US under a TN. In 2009 I spent half year working in Michigan and half year working in OHIO (two different employers). Most Michigan Residents working in OHIO have Reciprocity whereby the taxpayer only needs to complete a Michigan return. Being a non resident I don't believe this applies to me..my withholdings w. My questions is ....when I file an OHIO state return do I only include earnings earned in OHIO or TOTAL annual earnings and somewhere in the return there's a split??

Thanks for your help
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is a satte tax questin, and I don't look into specific state issues, but generally, if you are a resident of NEITHER OH or MI, you report only your ohio-source income in OH, and only your MI-source income in MI. The agreement that you refer to does not apply to you.

You file NR returns for both these states.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You see what I mean about NOT getting into state taxes.

OH requires that you report all US income, and then take what amounts to a credit for tax you would owe on the other income, schedule D.

With that in mind, I will not even attempt to look at what MI does.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D