Residency Change Upon RSU Grant And Vest

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jeremychen0127

Residency Change Upon RSU Grant And Vest

Post by jeremychen0127 »

I was supposed to start my full time job in California this past summer. However, because of the covid, I started it remotely in Canada. Now the company gives me the choice of postponing the RSU grant, because they said I should be aware that if I am a resident of Canada (which I am right now) when my equity is granted and a resident of USA when the RSU is vested, I may be in a situation where both countries will be seeking taxation upon vest.

My understanding is that, suppose I just stay in Canada down the road, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, I do plan to head south to California after 2 years, so if what they said is true, after 2 years I may have some tax-disadvantage if I choose to have RSU granted now.

I tried to research on this topic but I can't really find a clear answer from CRA. What would be the implications from CRA/IRS/California FTB perspective if I have my RSU granted now but then 2 years later my vesting location becomes California?

I am hoping to start receiving RSU as that would probably be less risky and I can probably put them in RRSP to avoid taxation for future growth (I am aware of the implications of RRSP when emigrating 2 year later), but I definitely don't want to be double taxed after I move down to California, so wanted to make sure the implications on this aspect.

I really appreciate for the answer here!!