Non resident 25 % Gross rent paid to CRA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GTAresident

Non resident 25 % Gross rent paid to CRA

Post by GTAresident »

Not clear which line to show cumulative gross tax of 25 % of rent in 2009 Canada return under Non-Resident Withholding Tax - Part XIII

Since my net rental is considerably lower, I expect net refund from gross rent which I want to use to offset for part year resident tax payable on US income due to my family living in Canada
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your rental income for the part of the year you were non-resident, and the withheld tax, can only be reported on your 216 election return. It is completely separate from your departure return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GTAresident

Post by GTAresident »

Hello Nelsona,
I was worried that I may lose all of 25 % of tax paid with departure return. From your hint, when I search internet, I could find T1159. Is this form to be attached to departure return so the net refund or payable tax will be the addition of departure and 216 return?
Is this OK?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no addition. You make 2 separate returns. A 216 return, and your departure return.

Next year you will likely only have a 216 return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D