Reporting US income for Canada return

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

GTAresident

Reporting US income for Canada return

Post by GTAresident »

Till 2008, contributions from US income to 401K were not allowed on Canada return for deductions and had to be added to income. I read from previous posts that now from 2009 any 401 contributions made from US income while resident of Canada -for part year resident period due to family there- is considered equivalent of RRSP contribution. Question is

1) Do you show this amount on same line as RRSP on Canada return?
2) Which CRA document shows details about recent treaty revision on 401K/RRSP contributions which came in effect from 2009?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is a form to fill out for CRA. I have reportedon this here before.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc268/README.html
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GTAresident

Post by GTAresident »

Hello Nelsona,
I am familiar with the link but was confused by wording "commuter". Is the same form applicable for part year Canadian resident as well?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you were working in the US and still living in Canada (which I believe is what you claim you were doing the first part of 2009) then you are a commuter.

Otherwise you are a non-resident, not reporting any of this (like for the second part of the year for you, when you left canada).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
GTAresident

Post by GTAresident »

Basically it amounts to be same number as Box 1 on W2 since for Canada you add 401K contribution to Box 1 and then subtract same amount on line 207.

Of course, above is on assumption that there is room in RRSP.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

For part-year, since you only eported US income up to departure date, you can only claim 401(K) contribs made before departure date.

That would be on your paystub.