EIN or SSN in order to work remotely from Canada?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

BRB2010

EIN or SSN in order to work remotely from Canada?

Post by BRB2010 »

Hi there,
I have been asked to provide an EIN or SSN in order to work for a US company, however I will be working on contract, remotely from Canada. They will pay for each piece of work submitted (if that matters?). I have relatives in the US who are citizens and can sponsor me if this is what is required to get a number, but I haven't been able to source the information on HOW to go about getting one of these numbers and which one would be more appropriate (or faster to get) from the embassy's website etc. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
BRB
GTAresident

Post by GTAresident »

US Visa is applicable only if you plan to work while on US soil. You donot need US visa for working remotely from Canada unless your job requires you to visit US occasionally for work related matters.

You can get SSN only if you have work or student visa. Family sponsorship can take upto 10 years depending on category

If you are getting a job as a Canadian contractor for work being done outside of US, you may give Canada social insurance number and report in Canadian tax return.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Has GTA sez, you don't need any US ID number.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
BRB2010

Post by BRB2010 »

Thanks!!